We Train Professionals in Sustainability Science
Here at Unity College, we’re giving students the tools to become environmental professionals. We’re focused on the imperative of sustainability—in the classroom and in the real world. Unity provides students with an exceptional education that meets the demands of an earth and an economy in crisis.
Our emphasis on experiential learning is rooted in a framework of sustainability science. No matter what your major, you’ll learn to consider all of the angles through our transdisciplinary approach to education. At our college of environmental science, we pride ourselves on turning our students into the problem solvers of tomorrow.
We Are Future-Oriented
Unity was founded in 1965, so we have the history, experience, and foundation to know what we’re doing. However, we are still progressive and forward-facing, focused on the future. We inspire and support students to enact the solutions that can help renew civilization.
From 225 wooded acres of farmland overlooking Unity Pond in the tranquil village of Unity, Maine, we make our considerable mark on the world. Roughly 600 passionate, adventuresome students study here with nearly 40 dedicated, outdoor-loving faculty members. The whole state of Maine is our hands-on learning laboratory.
We Engage the World
Our dedicated faculty members are proven professionals in their respective fields, with hands-on experience in the subjects they teach. Their activities and experience include the following:
- Running immersion semesters at Outward Bound
- Evaluating sites for wind power
- Testifying at state legislative hearings on utilities and energy
- Giving public presentations on the science of climate change
- Collaborating with students on research presented at national conferences
- Publishing in peer-reviewed journals
- Creating renewable-energy demonstrations
- Restructuring a chemistry lab to reduce toxic waste
- Directing undergraduate research and developing sustainable energy projects funded by the National Science Foundation and the U.S. Department of Agriculture
We Empower Students
Our close-knit, inclusive campus community is full of active learners—both students and teachers—who create adventures that help you grow personally and professionally. At Unity College, you learn by doing, balancing theory and practice. Live your passion while learning how to do what Thomas Berry has called “the great work” of our time.
Our cutting-edge, science-based curriculum will ensure that you know how to communicate persuasively and effectively, while empowering you to move knowledge from a variety of disciplines into action. You’ll get the skills you need for your career, for living, and for life in the 21st century.
The time for small thinking is over. Come join us!