We Train Environmental Professionals in Sustainability Science
Here at Unity College, we’re giving students the tools to become environmental professionals. We’re focused on the imperative of sustainability, in the classroom and in the real world. Unity provides students with an exceptional education that meets the demands of an earth and an economy in crisis.
Our emphasis on experiential learning is rooted in a framework of sustainability science. No matter what your major, you’ll learn to consider all of the angles through our transdisciplinary approach to education. Our students learn to be problem-focused brokers of knowledge.
We Are Future-Oriented
Unity was founded in 1965—we’ve been around long enough to know what we’re doing. But we’re still nimble and forward-facing, focused on the future. We inspire and support students to enact the solutions that can help renew civilization.
From 225 wooded acres of farmland overlooking Unity Pond in the village of Unity, Maine, we make our considerable mark on the world. Roughly 600 eclectic, adventuresome students study here with nearly 40 dedicated, outdoor-loving faculty members. The whole state of Maine is our hands-on learning laboratory.
We Engage the World
Our dedicated faculty members are change agents who engage the world. Their activities include:
- Running immersion semesters at Outward Bound
- Evaluating sites for wind power
- Testifying at state legislative hearings on utilities and energy
- Giving public presentations on the science of climate change
- Collaborating with students on research presented at national conferences
- Publishing in peer-reviewed journals
- Creating renewable-energy demonstrations
- Restructuring a chemistry lab to reduce toxic waste
- Directing undergraduate research and developing sustainable energy projects funded by the National Science Foundation and the U.S. Department of Agriculture
We Empower Students
Our close-knit, inclusive campus community is full of active learners—both students and teachers—who create adventures that help you grow personally and professionally. At Unity College, you learn by doing, balancing theory and practice. Live your passion while learning how to do what Thomas Berry has called The Great Work of our time.
Our cutting-edge, science-based liberal arts curriculum will ensure that you know how to communicate persuasively and effectively, while empowering you to move knowledge from a variety of disciplines into action. You’ll get the skills you need for your career, for living, and for life in the 21st century.