We want to make the relocation process as easy as possible for our employees. Maine is considered one of the safest states in the country, and many of our faculty and staff can attest to the welcoming and supportive community they found when relocating. The information below will help you with the moving process, allowing you to focus on your new role here at Unity. These listings are for the convenience of our new employees only, appearance on this list does not constitute endorsement of these vendors or services by Unity College.
Red Oak Relocation
Red Oak Relocation is a national relocation company headquartered in Minneapolis, MN. They provide a relocation program to serve Unity College new-hires who will be transferring for the new position. They are prepared to step in and assist throughout the move process, allowing employees to focus on their new role. Their services include: initial move counseling; home sale or lease break assistance; home purchase or rental assistance; HHG placement, expense management and tax counseling. There is no cost for Red Oak’s services. They generate revenue when their service partners are utilized though it is not required. Starting your move is one click or call away. Call toll free (866) 300-0509, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill out the Red Oak Relocation New Roots form.
Information About the Region
- The State of Maine has a great website for information about moving to the area.
- The City of Waterville is located approximately half an hour inland and has a more city-like atmosphere with a lot of activity. There is a YMCA and other parks and recreation options as well as some great restaurants in the area to enjoy. It is close to the I-95 corridor and the lakes and mountains of our great state. Waterville is also home to Colby and Thomas Colleges.
- The Town of Unity website has a lot of information about our home town.
- Belfast is about thirty minutes away and sits right on the Penobscot Bay. The town offers a thriving arts community and easy access to our many islands and other coastal treasures. Among the many activities in Belfast, there are also a number of shops and restaurants as well.
Many College faculty and staff call the towns around Unity home, including South China, Vassalboro, Albion, Clinton, Thorndike, and Benton. These areas are an easy commute to the College.
Schools & Daycare
- The RSU 3 District website provides an overview of area schools for children ages pre-kindergarten through high school.
- RSU 18 serves the area of China, Belgrade, Oakland, Rome and Sydney. There is in-town high school, so the district allows school choice from among the following: Winslow High School (Winslow), Cony High (Augusta) or Erskine Academy (a private school).
- Waterville School District. Waterville is a family-friendly city with many programs and amenities geared toward family activities and needs, including in-town parks and a variety of after-school programs.
- The Belfast Area School District comprises several towns and also has many family-oriented amenities including a YMCA and various after-school activities.
- The Growing Place LLC, 239 Gordon Hill Road, Thorndike. Phone: 207-568-3331. This business is owned and operated by the spouse of a Unity staff member. Ask for Brandi Miville.
- Jennifer Tozier, 82 Quince Lane, Unity. Phone: 207-948-2466.
- The State of Maine website provides a list of child care facilities in the area.
Dog Day Care Facilities
- Puddleduck Boarding Kennel, 134 Higgins Hill Road, Morrill. Phone: 207-209-3243.
- Applewood Boarding Kennel, 174 Bangor Road, Benton. Phone: 207-453-5959.
- Foxrun Boarding Kennel, 755 Turner Ridge Road, Palermo. Phone: 207-993-2270.
- It's Raining Cats & Dogs, 340 Albion Road, Benton. Phone: 207-453-9490.
Housing Resources - Local Newspapers
￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼The Human Resources Office will also be happy to forward information on rentals or any other relevant postings.
- Unity vicinity - Don Newell and Emily Newell, Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate The Masiello Group, Phone: 207-948-3551.
- Waterville area - Jane C. Wells, Plourde Real Estate, Phone: 207-660-4025 (office) or 207-692-8023 (cell).
- Belfast, Waldo County and coastal communities - Marjorie Crowley at CoastWise Realty, Phone: 1-800-293-4416 or 207-338-6005.
- Albion, China, Palermo, Freedom, Vassalboro and Waterville areas - Harold E. Charles, Surette Real Estate, Phone: 207-873-5634.
Bisson Moving and Storage has a long-standing reputation of professional moving services both in and outside of New England. For long distance moves, they have an agreement with Atlas Van Lines. The College is contracted with Bisson to offer discounted rates for affiliates of Unity College, which is currently is 65% off of their regular rates. In addition, Bisson offers free, full replacement value reimbursements and move prioritization. Be sure to mention employment with Unity College employee when contacting Bisson.
- Waldo County YMCAin Belfast, Maine
- YMCA in Waterville, Maine
- Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce
- Belfast Chamber of Commerce
Reimbursement is available for qualified new hires. Documents are available on the Unity College Intranet under the Business Office section. If you are interested in finding out more, please contact the Human Resources Office.
Employment Resources for Spouses, Partners and Other Family Members
- ServingSchools.com, an online marketplace providing schools, agencies and job seekers a fast and easy way to find each other.
- State of Maine Employment Portal
- The Maine CareerCenter is the place to start when you're looking for your first job, your next job, a better job - or a whole new career. It's also the place to find information on training and education.
- Positions with the State of Maine Department of Corrections
- State of Maine Bureau of Human Resources
- Maine Association of Nonprofits
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium