See below for answers to technology related questions.
How do I change my network / email password?
Here are two easy ways to change your password:
1) Login to your campus email account using Outlook Web Access, click on “Options” in the top right corner, then click on “Change Password” on the left side of the page.
2) From any College lab/cluster PC or terminal, hit ctrl-alt-del and select “Change Password.”
Keep in mind that your password must meet the following complexity requirements:
- Your password cannot contain your name or username (e.g. "John Smith" or "jsmith").
- Your password must be at least 6 characters in length.
- Your passwords must contain characters from three of the following four categories:
- Uppercase characters
- Lowercase characters
- Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
- Non-alphanumeric characters (e.g. # $ - ?)
I forgot my username and / or password. How do I re-connect?
Your student credentials for all Unity College systems use the same username and password. When you change the password in one system, they are all changed. When your account was first created, you should have received an email message with your username and instructions for your first login. Your Unity College username is generally setup as your first initial + your last name plus the last two digits of your application year. (e.g., John Smith, a 2014 applicant = jsmith14.) The default password is generally set to be your first initial capitalized + your last initial in lowercase + the last four digits of your social security number. You should change this password at your first successful login.
If you still need help logging in, please contact our Help Desk, by phone (preferred) at 207.509.7110 or by email at email@example.com.
How can I login to network based resources like UCommunicate / SharePoint, etc?
Some systems require your username to be entered with the domain name pre-pended. Our domain name is "campus", so your username would need to be entered like "campus\username" (Note the direction of the back-slash is important!) On personal systems, you may need to click "other user" in order to login with this format.
Can I use my Internet-enabled gaming console (Xbox, etc.) or other devices on the college network?
Yes. We allow gaming consoles and other media devices to connect to the network in your residence hall room. Just connect to the Unity College Guest wireless network for instructions. Most online games will function just fine on the campus network. If you experience a problem using a particular game on the network, please contact us and we’ll try to help. Please note that a few games require network system changes that we are unable to accommodate.
Do you support other wireless devices like mobile phones and tablets connecting to the network?
Yes! Just connect to the Unity College Guest wireless network and follow the instructions for configuring your device to access the secure Unity College network.
How can I install Microsoft Office on my personal computer, tablet or phone?
Students and employees are licensed and able to download Microsoft Office 365 applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Lync on up to 5 personal devices.
This subscription service licensing is available to you while you are a Unity College student or employee. OneDrive is also included in this package. OneDrive is cloud-based storage that allows you to easily access and share your files from any of your Office-connected devices.
How to Install Office 365 and Office 365 Pro/Plus:
For mobile devices (tablets and smartphones):
Simply go to either the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store and search for “Word”, “Excel”, “PowerPoint”, “OneNote” or “Lync” – these are free applications published by Microsoft. Once you’ve found each app you want and have installed it, login with your Unity College email address and password to use each application.
For personal / home computers:
Go to https://login.microsoftonline.com/ and login with your Unity College email address and password. Click “PC & Mac” and click the “Install” button. The Office application will download and install to your computer.
We also still offer the option of purchasing one licensed copy of the latest Microsoft Office version (2013 for PC or 2011 for Mac) or Windows upgrade on DVD for installation on your computer. Visit our Bookstore to purchase this media. There is no reason to purchase the media if you use the download option above.
How do I access the alumni email system?
Use this address: https://www.google.com/a/alumni.unity.edu
(This link is also available from the "Quick Picks" pages.)
How can I subscribe to receive email alert notifications for new posts in SharePoint sites like UCommunicate?
Subscribe to and manage your email alerts in the SharePoint system:
1) Login to the SharePoint Intranet.
2) Visit the SharePoint site that you want to receive alerts on (for example, UCommunicate.)
3) Click on your name in the top right corner and choose "My Settings" from the drop-down menu.
4) Select "My Alerts"
5) Here, you can add, modify and delete alerts for this site. If you add a new alert, you'll get an email summary of the change.
How can I forward my campus ShoreTel phone voice-mail messages to my email?
There are two ways to do this:
Using ShoreTel Communicator web application from any computer on campus and Macs
1) Go to https://vmail.unity.edu
2) Go to “More” at the top of the screen, and select “Preferences”
3) In the Preferences window, under “Voice Mail”, select the pull-down beside “Notification delivery options” and select “Email wav file”
4) Select whether you would like the email delivery to also “Mark delivered message as Heard” (stops the red light from blinking), and make sure your email address is correct
5) Click “Save”
Using the ShoreTel Communicator Windows application:
1) Open the ShoreTel Communicator application
2) Click the orange "S" at the top left corner and select "Options"
3) Select "Voice Mail" on the left.
4) Select the pull-down beside “Notification delivery options” and select “Email wave file”
5) Select whether you would like the email delivery to also “Mark delivered message as Heard” (stops the red light from blinking), and make sure your email address is correct in the "deliver to" field
6) Click “OK”
How do I view and retrieve messages from spam quarantine?
You will receive a notification message once a week for each email address from Exchange Online Protection, listing the messages that were tagged as spam/junk and not delivered normally.
While it is a very rare occurrence with this system, occasionally, a message will be falsely identified as junk/spam. Every 7 days, you will receive the notification email noted above. You can review this message list for falsely-identified messages, and take action against those messages that you want to review, following the instructions provided.
My instructor is using an iClicker in class. I have a friend that also needs to buy an iClicker for class. Can we share the purchase of a clicker?
iClickers can be shared only as long as the students sharing the iClicker are not in the same class section, meeting for class at the same time.
How do I sign an Adobe PDF form with a Unity College CA certificate?
1) College-owned managed Windows machines all have a Unity College CA certificate already installed and ready to use – move on to step 2.
2) Use Adobe Reader (or Adobe Acrobat) to open the PDF file. (This software is already installed on college-owned managed Windows machines.
3) Using Adobe Reader or Acrobat, simply click on the appropriate signature field and sign the document with your Unity College CA certificate. It will require you to save the document as part of the signature process – simply choose a new name for the signed document.
Using Mac OS X:
1) Add the Unity College CA certificate to your keychain. This is a one-time operation. If you have already done this, move on to step 2.
1) Use Safari (not Chrome or Firefox) to go to https://ca1.campus.unity.edu/certsrv (available from on campus only) Choose to trust the certificate presented.
2) Login with your Unity College domain account.
3) Choose Request Certificate. Then choose User Certificate, and click Submit. Download the certificate.
4) Click on the certificate to add it to your keychain.
2) Use Adobe Reader (or Adobe Acrobat) to open the PDF file (Mac Viewer will NOT work – this software is installed on all college-owned Macs. Or, you can download the Adobe Reader for free from http://get.adobe.com/reader/)
3) Using Adobe Reader or Acrobat, simply click on the signature field and sign the document with your Unity College CA certificate. It will require you to save the document as part of the signature process – simply choose a new name for the signed document.