Wednesday, January 8th – Sunday, January 12th
Unity College is very happy to welcome you to our community! Unity prides itself as a close knit community and our Nova program is the beginning of this journey. As an entering student, you are enrolled in the Unity Experience course that starts with this five-day adventure-based orientation trip. Nova trips are designed to support the transition to college life by emphasizing personal growth, building social connections, and promoting environmental stewardship. Because of the important role this program plays in facilitating a successful transition to college, ALL new students are required to participate.
Winter Nova trip – what to expect:
- Small group adventure-based experiences (approximately ten students and two staff)
- Led by well-trained Unity College student leaders
- Accommodations include a cozy cabin tucked away in the woods heated by wood stove
- Great camp food made by you and staff
- Participate in various activities such as: snow shoeing, cross country skiing, primitive skills, ice climbing, tubing community-building games and initiatives
In addition to the above:
- You are included in decision-making and risk management
- You will participate in discussion circles (often accompanied by delicious camp cooking!)
- Your Nova led service project will provide you with a chance to give back to the wild and scenic places you’ll be exploring
- You will complete a Leave No Trace awareness program
Students that cannot attend the Winter Nova program will be required to participate in the Nova Summer 2014 trip. Qualifications for deferment include physical limitations such as a fracture, sprain, or temporary illness; family obligations; full-time or seasonal employment. There are only certain and limited types of situations that qualify a student for exemption from the Nova program. These would include physical limitations, long-term illness or injury (medical release required), full-time employment, family obligations, over the age of 24. Students who will be deferring or exempting must fill out the Deferral Appeal Form or Exemption Appeal Form.
If you have any questions please contact Jessica Steele, Director of the Outdoor Adventure Center 207-948-9293 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.