The Unity College Student Conference is held at the end of each semester in order to showcase the extraordinary work that our students have completed and celebrate excellence in academic achievement.
The conference features traditional research, multi-media works, art installations, and a variety of other creative projects. Students compete in a range of categories for recognition of exceptional achievement and cash awards.
The goals of the Unity College Student Conference are to:
- Encourage, promote, and recognize all quality academic and professional work among Unity College students
- Help build a campus culture that values undergraduate research
- Provide professional experience presenting in an academic community
Spring 2017 Dates:
- Submissions opens: Thursday, March 16
- Entries deadline: Monday, April 24, 4:00 p.m.
- Nominations window: Monday, April 24 to Friday, April 28, 4:00 p.m.
- Set-up: Thursday, May 4 (2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.), Friday, May 5, (8:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.)
- Conference: Monday, May 8
For information about the Student Conference including faculty sponsorship, submission terms, format requirements and past conference highlights, visit the Student Conference Website.
Fall 2016 Conference Award Winners
- The Unity Award for best overall project, to Cassidy Marshall and Lisette DeLoatch, for “Turbidites Effect on Fish Species Diversity.”
- The Award for Academic Excellence, to Jennifer Meineke, for “Population Density and Home Range Size in Tamiasciurus hudsonicus in Unity, Maine.”
- The Unity Partnership Award, for the best project completed in cooperation with external organizations, to Allison Stevens, for “Freedom Forest Preserve: Interpretive Products.”
- The Creativity Award, to Dayson Cullivan, for his presentation, “Life of a Hunter.”
- The Education Award, to Mikkaela Scott for “Unity College Heritage Farm.”
- The Research Award (individual), to Katherine Cummings, for “Beech Bark Disease in Maine: Effects of Forest Composition, Density on Infection Severity.”
- The Research Award (group), to Ben Sawtelle, Kyle Pisano, Tiffany Brown, and Tori Piger, for “Measuring Differences in American Chestnut Growth in Densely Plotted Trees.”
- The Sustainability Award to Anya Samiljan, Jared Mummert, Savannah Sprague, and Josh Bernier, for “Reduction of Municipal Waste in Unity College Residence Halls via Alternative Disposal Resources.”
- The Environmental Professionals Award to Brian Harris-Jones, Cassandra Cates, Sean Stewart, Gunnar Norback, Emily MacDonald, Morgan DuBois, Alyssa Silvia, and Sally Carullo, for “Calculating the Volume of Water and Sediment in an Irrigation Pond at Johnny's Selected Seeds.”
- The Environmental Stewardship Award, to Greg LeClair for his “YouTube Conservation: Using Modern Media for Saving Wildlife.”