The Learning Resource Center (LRC) is Unity’s enrichment and academic support center. The mission of the LRC is to provide the support and services necessary for all enrolled students to enhance their academic achievements. This mission has two fundamental components: offering tutorial and study skills assistance to all enrolled students and providing specialized services and accommodations for students with diagnosed learning differences.
Located on the lower level of the Dorothy W. Quimby Library, the LRC is staffed by a team of committed professionals and a dedicated group of peer tutors.
The LRC’s peer tutors offer tutorial support in a wide range of courses and disciplines to all enrolled students. Students seeking support for any phase of the writing process are encouraged to visit the Writing Center which shares space with the LRC. The peer tutors are successful students who are trained in interpersonal communication and effective study techniques, as well as tutorial strategies. The peer tutor schedule is revised every semester and shows each tutor’s specific expertise and work hours. Peer tutors are available in the LRC seven days a week and a number of faculty members from across campus also hold regular office hours in the LRC, encouraging all students to take advantage of the facility and all aspects of academic support.
|My son/daughter needs certain accommodations so that he/she can be successful in college. What services are offered at Unity College in order to ensure student success?|
|The Learning Resource Center (LRC) at Unity College is dedicated to helping students achieve their educational goals by providing access to a wide range of services such as: tutorial and study skills assistance; academic and accessibility accommodations; and housing and dining assistance. Students who may need specialized support are encouraged to utilize the array of services offered by the LRC in order to enhance and ensure the advancement of their educational experience.|
LRC Services At a Glance:
- Tutoring for all students who desire academic enrichment for their courses
- Proctoring for students who take their exams in the LRC
- Assistance to faculty and staff through training and consulting, particularly regarding learning differences
- Offering mini workshops on skills and strategies for students (for example, note taking)
- Ensuring that ADA guidelines are followed for students with disabilities
- Serving as an advocate for students with disabilities
LRC Staff and Faculty:
Jim Heck: Director ext 263
Carrie Eaton: Associate Professor of Mathematics ext 194
Greg Perkins: Learning Specialist ext 177
Janet Preston: Instructor of Mathematics/Coordinator of Supplemental Instruction ext 258
Stephanie Wade: Assistant Professor of Writing/Director of Writing ext 185
Judy Williams: Writing Center Director & Instructor of English ext 165
(Please note: the main LRC extension is 220)
Specialized services and academic accommodations for students with diagnosed learning differences are also offered through the LRC. These services and accommodations are designed to allow students with disabilities to participate as fully as possible in all aspects of Unity’s academic programs. These services and accommodations are available only to students who provide documentation of their disabilities certified by the LRC’s Learning Specialist. Typical accommodations include note-taking assistance, extended time for quizzes and exams, completing quizzes and exams in the LRC, having exam questions interpreted and being provided access to assistive technology, such as Dragon NaturallySpeaking and Kurzweil 3000.
Please refer to the following documents regarding academic accommodations:
- Guidelines for Academic Accommodations
- Application for Academic Accommodations
- Accommodation Rights and Responsibilities
- Suggestions for Faculty and Campus Worksite Supervisors Regarding Students with Disabilities
- Links to Videos Intended to Help Students with Study Habits and Learning Techniques
- Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: 12:00 noon to 4:00 p.m.