Schedule for Public Safety and Crisis Management Institute
Schedule for the 2018 Public Safety and Crisis Management Institute
Thursday, June 21, 2018
3:30 – 4:30 p.m. – Check-In
4:45 – 5:00 p.m. – Welcome by Dr. Rana Johnson, Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
5:00 – 6:30 p.m. – Expert Panel: Proactive Crisis Management Plans and Collaborative Resources
How can Maine prepare for a crisis? Experts will set the stage for the Institute with a discussion of collaborative strategies to prepare for crisis situations in diverse communities.
- Mr. Tarlan Ahmadov, State Refugee Coordinator, State of Maine
- Ms. Regina Phillips, Grant Writer and Community Outreach Coordinator, Westbrook School Department
- Chief Janine Roberts, Chief of Police, Westbrook Police Department
6:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Reception and Networking
Network and partner with key public safety professionals from around the country.
Friday, June 22, 2018
7:45 – 8:30 a.m. – Breakfast at Wyman Commons
8:40 – 8:50 a.m. – Greeting by Dr. Melik Peter Khoury, President, Unity College, and, Dr. Rana Johnson, Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
9:00 – 10:00 a.m. – Concurrent Morning Workshops
10:10 – 11:10 a.m. – Concurrent Morning Workshops
11:20 – 12:20 p.m. – Concurrent Morning Workshops
The following sessions will be offered during each block of time in the morning. Participants will rotate among sessions in order to attend all three.
- Active Shooters 101 with Chief Michael J. Sauschuck, Portland Police Department
- Critical Incident & Stress Management with Chaplain Kate Braestrup and Lieutenant Kevin Adam, Maine Warden Service, Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
- Environmental Protection: Bomb Threats, Chemical Safety and Hazardous Materials with William Smith, Director of the Georgia Institute of Technology Office of Emergency Preparedness
12:30 – 1:40 p.m. – Lunch Keynote Mr. Karl Colder, United States Department of Justice – Law Enforcement Response Model to Heroin Crisis Epidemic
1:45 – 2:45 p.m. – On Scene Bereavement/Death Notification
3:00 – 4:00 p.m. – Working Backwards to Create Plans that Work
4:10 pm. – Closing Remarks by Dr. Rana Johnson, Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer.