Winter Orientation Program
Nova trips are designed to support the transition to college life by emphasizing personal growth, building social connections, and promoting environmental stewardship.
January 10-14, 2018 (Wednesday – Sunday)
Unity College is very happy to welcome you to our community! Unity prides itself as a close knit community and our Nova program is the beginning of this journey. All students his is a five-day adventure-based orientation trip. Nova trips are designed to support the transition to college life by emphasizing personal growth, building social connections, and promoting environmental stewardship. Because of the important role this program plays in facilitating a successful transition to college, ALL new students are required to participate.
Winter Nova trip – what to expect:
- Small group adventure-based experiences (approximately ten students and two staff)
- Led by well-trained Unity College student leaders
- Accommodations include a cozy cabin tucked away in the woods heated by wood stove
- Great camp food made by you and staff
- Participate in various activities such as: snow shoeing, cross country skiing, primitive skills, tubing, community-building games and initiatives
In addition to the above:
- You are included in decision-making and risk management
- You will participate in discussion circles (often accompanied by delicious camp cooking!)
- Your Nova led service project will provide you with a chance to give back to the wild and scenic places you’ll be exploring
- You will complete a Leave No Trace awareness program
Students that cannot attend the Winter Nova program will be required to participate in the Nova Summer 2018 or Winter 2019. Qualifications for deferment include physical limitations such as a fracture, sprain, or temporary illness; family obligations; full-time or seasonal employment. There are only certain and limited types of situations that qualify a student for exemption from the Nova program. These would include physical limitations, long-term illness or injury (medical release required), full-time employment, or family obligations.
If you have any questions please contact Jessica Steele, Director of the Outdoor Adventure Center at 207-509-7293 or Juanita Spaulding, Administrative Assistant at 207-509-7236 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.