Collaborative Learning Center
Enhancing academic achievements
The Collaborative Learning Center (CLC) is Unity’s enrichment and academic support center.
Located in the new academic building, the CLC is staffed by a team of committed professionals and a dedicated group of peer educators.
The mission of the CLC is to provide the support and services necessary for all enrolled students to enhance their academic achievements. We offer tutorial and study skills assistance to all enrolled students and provide specialized services and accommodations for students with diagnosed learning differences. The CLC’s peer educators offer tutorial support in just about every course Unity College offers! Students seeking support for any phase of the writing process or the math sequence are encouraged to visit the CLC. The peer tutors are highly successful, caring students who are trained in interpersonal communication skills, effective study techniques, and tutorial strategies. The peer tutor schedule is revised every semester and shows each tutor’s specific expertise and work hours. Peer educators are available in the CLC over 60 hours a week for six days a week and a number of faculty members in mathematics also hold regular office hours in the CLC. We encourage all students to take advantage of the free academic support that is available to them!
Collaborative Learning Center Services At a Glance:
- Writing assistance, math tutoring and help with specific Unity College courses.
- Proctoring for students who take their exams in the CLC
- Assistance to faculty and staff through training and consulting, particularly regarding learning differences
- Academic workshops to help students develop skills and strategies success (for example, dealing with test anxiety)
- First-stop shop inquiries for ADA learning and living accommodations
- Advocacy for students with disabilities
- Unity Experience/Unity Transfer Experience Course information
- Academic mentoring for students who are at-risk due to low performance
Collaborative Learning Center Staff:
Bobbi Thomas: Dean of Academic Support: 207-509-7265
Lisa Bierre: ADA Coordinator: 207-509-7262
Ziggy Brown: Athletic Student Success Coach: 207-509-7283
David Rogers: Information Literacy Student Success Coach: 207-509-7263
Specialized assistance with testing, note-taking and other and academic accommodations for students with documented, diagnosed learning differences are also offered through the CLC. These services and accommodations are designed to allow students with disabilities to participate as fully as possible in all aspects of Unity’s academic programs. These services and accommodations are available only to students who provide documentation of their disabilities as certified by the CLC’s ADA Coordinator/Learning Specialist. Typical accommodations include note-taking assistance, isolated testing environments, extended time for quizzes and exams, proctored exams, test question interpretation and access to access to assistive technologies such as Dragon NaturallySpeaking and Kurzweil 3000.
Information and Forms for Students with Special Needs
- Special Accessibility and Accommodations Request Form 1: Housing Accommodations
- Special Accessibility and Accommodations Request Form 2: Mobility Impairment
- Special Accessibility and Accommodations Request Form 3: Academic Accommodations
- ADA Student Accessibility and Accommodation Request: General Information
- Accommodation Rights and Responsibilities
- Suggestions for Faculty and Campus Worksite Supervisors Regarding Students with Disabilities
- Links to Videos Intended to Help Students with Study Habits and Learning Techniques
- Unity College Emotional Support Animal Protocol
- Request Form for Emotional Support Animal
- Health Care Practitioner Form
CLC Peer Tutoring Hours
- Monday – Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday: 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.