A celebration of student research
The Unity College Student Conference is held at the end of each semester in order to showcase the extraordinary work that our students have completed and celebrate excellence in academic achievement.
The conference features traditional research, multi-media works, art installations, and a variety of other creative projects. Students compete in a range of categories for recognition of exceptional achievement and cash awards.
The 2018 Spring Student Conference will be at the Unity College Center for the Performing Arts on Monday, May 7 from 7:45 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
The goals of the Unity College Student Conference are to:
- Encourage, promote, and recognize all quality academic and professional work among Unity College students
- Help build a campus culture that values undergraduate research
- Provide professional experience presenting in an academic community
For information about the Student Conference including faculty sponsorship, submission terms, format requirements and past conference highlights, visit the Student Conference Website.
Fall 2017 Conference Award Winners
- Creativity Award – Ivy Thurber Unity College Wildlife Museum
- Education Award – Rachel Yanchuk, Kaitlyn Berwick, Megan McKeighan A Home for Edith
- Environmental Stewardship Award – Morgan DuBois, Victor Garcia, Jacob Beaudette, Michael Martino, Thomas Pierpoint, Kathleen Carey Lead Detection in Bird Feces Using an Atomic Absorption Spectrometer
- Research Award (Single Author) – Melanie Jackson Modeling the health of an American black bear (Ursus americanus) population in central Maine using stable isotopes as predictors
- Research Award (Multiple Authors) – Michelle Roberts, Emily Macdonald, Matt Porter, Brian Harris-Jones, Sean Stewart, Savannah Sprague Unity Pond: Vertical profile and unusual mixing
- Campus Sustainability Award – Lydia Christopher, Laurel Sullivan, Trey Thomes, Tomas Kierstead, Matthew Harmon, Patrickmorgan Donovan Green Dorm Living
- Environmental Professionals Award – Meghan Burnell, Morgan DuBois, Brian Harris-Jones, Sierra Hopkins, Arthur Jacques, Emily MacDonald, Emily McCarthy, Ethan Oliver, Dillan Schmidt, Alyssa Silvia, Den Suehiro, Matt Porter, and Jordan Leavitt Geomorphology: Sandy Stream Paleo and Modern Channel Investigation
- Unity Partnership Award – Erin Raatz, Allison Stevens, Devon Funt General Management Plan- Waldo County Technical Center
- Award for Academic Excellence – Stephen Arsenault Predicting White-tailed Deer Winter Habitat Use in Central Maine through the Winter Severity Index
- Unity Award – Gregory LeClair A Population Assessment for Wood Turtles (Glyptemys insculpta) in Central Maine
Spring 2017 Conference Award Winners
- Creativity Award to Ru Allen for Remnants Reborn – Rethinking what is left behind
- Environmental Stewardship Award to E. Joe Moran for Mitigation of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) in White-tailed deer through strategic harvest management regimes
- Research Award, Single Author to Sarah McQuade for Occupancy by Various Species of Fragmented and intact forest in Southern Connecticut
- Research Award, 2-7 Author to Scott Geissier; Bethany Slack; Thomas Hall; Rhyan Pacquerau for Relationship between beaver forage range and habitat quality in Waldo County, Maine
- Sustainability Award to Samantha McGarrigle; Raeann Bond; Mariza Giofriddo; Matthew Macieiko; Tori Pilger; Elizabeth Villies for Rain and Pollinator Gardens: Increasing Biodiversity on the Unity College Campus
- Environment Professional Award to Sam Balda; Derrick Bates; Sierra Costa-Pierce; Caden Dole; Emily Goldthwaite; Victoria Jeffcoats; Zahrra Jordan; Kelly Lange; Emily Levasseur; Megan McKeighan; Joshua Minnich; Jacob Norris; Jacob Poulin; Erin Raatz; Camden Smith; Alicia Tietz; Patrick Todd; Elizabeth Villies; Christopher Will; Brandon Wright for Adventure Therapy Modalities and Populations: Theoretical, Integrative, & Program Proposal Approaches
- Unity Partnership Award to Adam Winsor; Leighanne Wilson; Allison Stevens; Rachael Waugh; Matthew Squires; Jaden L Reale; Patricia Paskerta; Rhyan Paquereau; Jacob Norris; Collin Nafziger; Ian Montgomery; Kenneth McCumber; Kyle Lee; Samantha Holt; Peter Harvey; Jarad Greeley; Morticia Goodell; Alexander Gastelu; Devon Funt; Joel Devoid; Katherine Cummings; Benjamin Collins; Brian Fisher; Michael Anderson; Howard Asal, Joshua Bernier; Kaitlyn Berwick; Raeann Bond; Megan Carroll for Administration & Organization: Community Based Outreach Projects
- Award for Academic Excellence to Lauren Souther for Antibacterial activity of secondary compounds extracted from endophytic fungi from marine macroalgae in Maine.
- Unity Award to Rae-Ann MacLellan-Hurd for Quantitative model of phosphorous inputs into Lake Winnecook