IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)
Update Your FAFSA for Verification.
How to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to update Your FAFSA for Verification.
- Visit www.fafsa.gov
- Log in under “Returning User” using your FSA ID and password (Student’s information is needed)
- Click on “Make FAFSA Corrections,” and create a Save Key.
- Go to the “Financial Information” section.
- Locate the “Have you completed your IRS income tax return?” question and change the response to “Already Completed.” Filter questions will appear that will determine whether the IRS DRT can be used.
- Enter your tax filing status for 2016.
- Indicate if you did or did not file a Puerto Rico or foreign tax return. If you did file a Puerto Rico or foreign tax return, please contact our office before proceeding.
- Click “Link to the IRS” – It is safe to leave the FAFSA site to complete this process.
- Select the parent whose FSA User ID is being used to complete and sign the FAFSA, and enter their ID and Password as requested.
- Click “Proceed to IRS”.
- Once in the IRS site, provide the required information and click “Submit.” In order for retrieval to work, the address entered must match the address on file with the IRS exactly. You will receive a confirmation your information has been located. You will not see the tax information displayed on the screen. Click on the box to enable the “Transfer Now” button.
- Click on the “Transfer Now” button and the information will transfer back to the FAFSA.
- Repeat this process for the parent(s) and student if both parties provided financial information on the FAFSA and filed a tax return. If one party was not required to file a tax return, be sure that it is indicated on the FAFSA.
- Once all updates and transfer are complete, review your FAFSA summary and submit the FAFSA. The information will be processed by the federal processing center and sent to all schools listed on the FAFSA.
If you have any questions, contact the Financial Aid Office at 207-509-7235 or email@example.com.