Unity College offers SOLO Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness First Responder Recertification Course
Courses offered in April, May and November
Unity College is offering 16-hour Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder Recertification courses in April, May, and November.
Wilderness first aid is a perfect course for the outdoor enthusiast or trip leader who wants a basic level of first aid training for short trips. It meets the American Camp Association guidelines, and will focus on the basic skills of response and assessment, musculoskeletal injuries, environmental emergencies, survival skills, soft tissue injuries, and medical emergencies. SOLO Wilderness First Aid course covers:
- Anatomy of a Wilderness Crisis
- Anatomy of the Musculoskeletal System
- Backcountry Essentials
- Cold-Related Injuries
- Environmental Emergencies & Survival Skills (including lightning)
- Heat-Related Injuries
- Medical Emergencies & Critical Care
- Patient Assessment System
- Patient Lifting & Moving
- Principles of Fracture Care
- Rescue Plan
- Response & Assessment
- Soft Tissue Injuries & Medical Emergencies
- Spinal Cord Injury Management
- Sprains & Strains
- The Human Animal
- Trauma-Musculoskeletal Injuries
- Trauma-Soft Tissue Injuries
- Universal Precautions
- Use of Epinephrine
- What is Wilderness First Aid?
All students must have a current CPR card. Those who currently have a WFR certification may take this course to recertify for another three years. WFR cards must be current.
The courses will be held:
- 8 a.m.-5 p.m. April 7-8
- 5 p.m.-8 p.m. May 18, and 8 a.m.-5 p.m. May 19-20
- 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Nov. 30, and 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 1-2
Cost for Unity College students, staff and faculty is $130. Cost for community members is $150, and $180 for Wilderness First Responder recertification. The course will take place on the Unity College campus. The college does not have housing accommodations during the academic school year.
You may register online at certifications.unity.edu, and registration will remain open until the courses are full. For more information, contact Jessica Steele, Director of the Outdoor Adventure Center, at firstname.lastname@example.org.