Farms Surrounding Unity College
Maine has many local farms which produce vegetables, meats, flowers and much more.
Many of the local farms and organizations are open to the public and welcome visitors.
Some of Maine’s Farms and Organizations
• McKay Farm and Research Station is part of Unity College. The facility, gifted to Unity College in 2013, is a multi-faceted greenhouse. McKay Farm and Research Station serves as a direct extension of the 225 acre campus, providing the community with both educational and entrepreneurial opportunities.
• Maine Organic Farmers and Gardener’s Association (MOFGA), formed in 1971, is the oldest and largest state organic organization in the country. MOFGA hosts the Common Ground Country Fair the third weekend after Labor Day each year in Unity.
• Aldermere Farm, raising grass-fed belted galloways, is a 136-acre farm owned and managed by Maine Coast Heritage Trust.
• Maine Federation of Farmers’ Markets, has a mission to cultivate a vibrant, sustainable farmers’ market community as a vital part of Maine’s local food network.
• Unity Farmers’ Market takes place on Saturday mornings from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. May through November. The Unity Farmers’ Market, located at the Unity Community Center, features a variety of local products.
• Wolfe’s Neck Farm is a place for all to learn about agriculture, camp, hike, bike, kayak, visit animals, explore the natural world, volunteer, participate in education and community events, and enjoy the Maine coast.