Weather Related Closure/Delay
In case of inclement weather such as strong storms, heavy snowfall, ice, or any other natural disaster that creates dangerous travel conditions, the following procedures will be followed to determine whether regular college operations are canceled.
If a weather emergency occurs in the early morning hours, a decision to close the campus or delay an opening will be made by 5:30 a.m., by an authorized college official. If a weather emergency occurs later in the day, the determination for an early closure will be made as appropriate.
The options for accessing up-to-date weather-related closure/delay confirmation and information are:
- Check your text messages for a UC Alert
- Check your email for the campus-wide announcement
- Call the CRITICAL ALERT PHONE (207) 509-7207
- Watch WABI – Channel 5 (Bangor Station) for closures
- Listen to WMME – 92 Moose FM for closures
FACULTY/STUDENTS: For any whose class would normally be in progress at the “re-open time” you are expected to be present at the beginning of your next class and at all of your regularly scheduled classes throughout the remainder of that day.
FOR EXAMPLE with a “re-open time” of 10:00 AM:
- If your class begins at 10:00 AM, you are expected to teach/attend that 10:00 AM class and teach/attend all of your regularly scheduled classes throughout the remainder of that day.
- If your class would have already been in progress at 10:00 AM, you are expected to teach/attend the next class in your schedule and teach/attend all of your regularly scheduled classes throughout the remainder of that day.
- If your first class of the day begins at 10:45 AM you are expected to teach/attend that 10:45 AM class and teach/attend all of your regularly scheduled classes throughout the remainder of that day.
Essential and Non-Essential Personnel
When Unity College declares a weather emergency, only “essential” employees should report for work as scheduled. Essential hourly staff who are required to work on an administrative closing day shall be compensated at one and a half times their regular rate of pay during a campus closure due to inclement weather. For safety reasons, the college will minimize as much as possible the number of staff required to work during inclement weather conditions.
All non-essential, regular, part- and full-time employees will be compensated for hours for which the college is closed due to weather conditions. Employees on leave (for example, sick, vacation, or personal leave) on a day that the college closes due to inclement weather conditions shall be paid from the appropriate leave category as if the college was open.
Employees who elect for whatever reason not to attend work on a day when the college opens late or closes early may apply for the appropriate leave time category (sick, or PTO – as available) for all hours on that day.