Tuesday, April 17, 2018 Theme TBD
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Consumption and our Economy of Stuff
Location: HW 212
Story of Stuff Talk-Story of Stuff Movie will be screened (20 mins) and then a discussion will be lead by Jonathan Gibbons and Janis Balda regarding our current culture of “things”
8:00 – 11:00 PM
Earth Week Boardgames
Play board games with the DRL including CO2 Second Chance and Photosynthesis (who can grow their tree the tallest while shading out others)
Wednesday, April 18, 2018 Theme TBD
Julia Walsh Workshop
Julia may be able to host a workshop related to activism and organizing during the day. Reaching out to Janis to see if her advocacy class would be interested.
Julia Walsh, Anti-Fracking Speaker LOCATION: Student Center
Renewable Revolution: Confronting Climate Change with Real Solutions?
Thursday, April 19, 2018 Theme TBD
Earth Week Writing Contest, Finalist Readings
The finalists of the Earth Week Writing Contest will read their entries in CLC 101.
Sustainable Movement? presented by Athletics, Wellness and the OAC (name not settled yet)
- Trash Race (10-11AM)
A foot race though the town of Unity (TBA route) where runners must pick up trash on the rote. Each runner will be given gloves and a trash bag. When runner finish the trach will be weighed and added up by dorm to count towards Dean’s Cup. Winners of the foot race will be established by fastest runner, most trash picked up, and best upcycled trash costume
- Recreation Activities (10AM-2PM)
- Open Rock Climbing (10AM-2PM)
Open rock wall climbing and LNT principles for rock climbing
- Health Screenings (10AM-2PM)
Health Screenings Available to Unity community
- Hammock Meditation (11AM-12PM)
Devon Kane is working with ENO hammocks to get a bunch of hammocks and stickers to run a meditation in the air. We will also work on hammock ethics into the event so student take away a tips on proper hammock set up and even some tools to set up hammocks properly.
- Slacklines & Smoothies (12-2PM)
- Hula-Hoop making?
- DIY Chalk Bags
Cardboard Kayak Race
LOCATION: Gym/ Retention Pond
Friday, April 20, 2018 – “Green Transportation” (Sustainable Transportation)
9:30 AM – ALL DAY
Unity Weekend Experience
Overnight experience for prospective students and their families. Ends Saturday at 10:00AM – layer this event with other things happening on campus for prospective students to experience
Green Transportation Gathering
- Open to the public?
- Vehicle checks by M Womersley’s class at Unity House (Mick is fine with this, Rain date 4/27)
- Bicycle tune ups (Gazebo/green space)
- Can we get a fat tire bike to rent?
- Uhaul car share, electric vehicles?
- Could we reach out to darlings about an electric vehicle being brought on campus
- Commuter resources (carpool groups? EV charging)
Day of Thunder
LOCATION: Murdock Drive Near SC
Day of Thunder Big Wheels Race(Big Wheels Race down Murdoch Drive (participation restricted to Unity College students, however the general public welcome to attend). Part of student affairs Dean’s Cup year-long competitions. Starting line is adjacent to Student Activities Building)
Wildlife ID Bowl
LOCATION: TBD Student Center?
Wildlife ID bowl sponsored by the Unity College Chapter of The Wildlife Society
Saturday, April 21, 2018 – “Nourish” (Sustainable Food, Sustainable You) (#5)
9:00 AM – 10:00 AM
Unity Weekend Experience Breakfast
LOCATION: Wyman Commons
- Breakfast and parents and students meet up at Wyman (open at 8:30)
9:00 AM (registration starts 8:00)
37th Annual Unity College Spring 5K
LOCATION: Tozier Gym
- Entry fee $15
- Co-hosted by Central Maine Striders
- On-line entry form
- Add $8 for a Sugarmakers’ Pancake Breakfast (includes sausage, OJ, coffee. $7 for meat-free, $5 for kids)
9:00 – 11:00 AM
LOCATION: Student Center
- Hosted by and benefits Unity College’s Sugarmakers, a student club
- Featuring fresh Maine maple syrup
- $8 for 2 pancakes, 2 sausage patties, OJ, and coffee; $7 meat-free plate 3 pancakes, OJ and coffee’ $5 kid’s plate 1 pancake, 1 sausage patty, OJ
- Tickets sold at the door, except for 5K participants (make sure these pre-sold plates are honored!)
10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Accepted Student Day
- Encourage faculty to relate experience to EW themes
- Schedule TBD by Admissions
10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Culinary Creations Brunch
LOCATION: Wyman Commons
- Delicious, nourishing menu co-created by Forward Food – UC values on display
- Switch at 11 to more lunchy food on comfort line
- Recipe cards available to take home for every menu item
- NSE families (parents and students) may have lunch here starting at 12:00 PM, paid for by Admissions
12:00 – 3:00 PM
Nourish! A Sustainability Fair hosted at Unity College
LOCATION: ___________ (could be Unity Rocks + TLL breezeway, or the Tozier Gym+lot outside with tables & tents)
- Open to and promoted to the public
- Need space for tables, and a demonstration area with chairs and mic
- Participation passport, stamps at each station
- Kick off the Fair with a speaker session on wellness and environment?
- Talks/Sessions every 30 minutes (15-20 mins)
- Forward Food
- Plant-based physician
- Green It Yourself! CAB crew will teach skills both fun and educational – make your own cleaning products,
- Wellness will be doing DIY Lip Balm or other personal products
- Also activities like hula hooping & meditation
- Be Well! Wellness activity, self care, yoga, desk stretches
- Forward Food! Guest chefs will demonstrate your favorite family meals or your go-to recovery snack re-booted. Learn how to save money and be healthier by making delicious whole-food, plant-based recipes with a small environmental footprint. Chef Amy can lead an action station
- Chocolate avocado mousse demo
- 2 “sustaina-bowls” in Wyman and 1-2 at Fair
- Recipe cards
- Blender Bike w/ smoothies
- Student musicians?
- Mixed Woods, Evan Randich, Eric Hoffman
- Nut Milk Station: Jeff from Elmhurst https://elmhurst1925.com/ Tastings of various nut milks and related recipes from Elmhurst regional chef. “All of the taste, more of the nutrients, none of the nonsense.”
- Club Involvement
- Tree identification walk w/ Forestry Club
- Herpetology Club
- Beekeeping Club
- Acai Bowl station?
- Mascot-Confirmed with Leigh
- Maine Grains portable oven, making local breads, pizza crust
- GMRI presentation/fish tacos
- Swap It! Resource exchange accepting office supplies, clothing, household goods, unopened food items, toiletries. Drop off your items and pick up something “new to you”.
- Could potentially do a sale similar to opening of school and have it open to public as well
- Promoting local collection events
- Drug Take Back at Barn Raisers the 28th
- Bunnies? Sustainable pet food?
- Bunnies from the barn confirmed with Meg A 2/14
- It’s Organic! Agri Cycle and Exeter Agri-Energy host a waste sorting game; demo stages of their process, byproducts (Reached out on 2/14 JG)
- Tables by McKay? local artists? Local services?
- Have a scout rep (UC student? plus a merit badge counselor from local district) have info about how to earn a Sustainability merit badge e.g., write def in your own words, sketch a sustainable community
- Becky is looking into becoming a merit badge counselor for the Sustainability badge.
- Promote the heck out of this
- Sign-up sheets for the day of service on Sunday
- BANNER in town – approved, need design
Fundamentals of Permaculture Design
LOCATION: McKay Farm
- Open to the public
- Online registration
- Provide shuttle service from Student Center?
Sunday, April 22, 2018 EARTH DAY of Service “Give”
Full day of service, local and regional sites (sign up in advance)
Town Clean up w/ Barn Raisers
- Downtown, triplet park, Kanakolous beach road, downtown trails
- 10 volunteers per location hopefully
Rise Against Hunger
- Set up 11:30
- Event 1-3, cleaned up by 4:45
- Need about 40 volunteers for this event
- In the Tozier Gymnasium
Unity Community Trails- Open to the general public. Join the Unity College Trail Crew for their annual spring trail clean up and work day. Held rain or shine, participants will work on trail improvements, erosion projects and upgrading the outdoor classroom in the College’s 100 acre woods adjacent to the main campus complex. Lunch is provided.
Soap Making 101 with Lally Broch Farm
LOCATION: McKay Farm